Re: [Epic] DUNE

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 09:01:02 -0600

Francois Bruntz wrote:

> Josh a �crit :
>
> >Well I was thinking along these lines....
> > Sardaukar and Fremen should have stats approximately those of
> >marines....
> > Sardaukar would be in power armor, with lots of armor....and ir
> >power....
>
> Why in power armor? I don't remember anything about this in the books?

The sardaukar in the movies had the best armor, but I'm not sure if that
strictly follows the book. The fremen had no armor to speak of. The
Atreides shields would be like armor 5 or 6, though nuking the battlefield
with a laser would be bad. I don't remember the harkonnen using them. There
weren't many lasers available, fortunately, due to the ban on computers to
control them. A dune modification would be hand to hand heavy.

Sardaukar and Fremen would be CC 5 or 6 . Fremen should have infiltration
(that will get nasty!) but with armor 3 .Both should be stubborn. The
harkonen regulars would have CC: 2, armor 4.

Don't forget the ornithopters. And who gets to make stats for worms and
spice harvesters!

> > Harkonnen would be more like IG, but in heavier armor.....
> > Atreides are IG....with "normal" support units...this would also
> >apply to any
> >other house...
>
> I don't agree there. I think that Houses standard troops should have
> almost the same stats (IG ones) but as each House is unique, there
> should be some special troops.
> For example, in the books, House Atreides has trained some squads of
> very good warriors who can beat even Sardaukars. These troops should be
> allowed as support units.
>
> Of course, there are many other forces which could be involved in the
> Landsraad wars : Bene Gesserit and Tleilax, the Space Guild, the CHOM
> (oups, sorry don't remember the name of this commercial organisation in
> English), Ix and Richese, etc...

There's all kinds of cool stuff to be done. I can't wait for Dune 2000 to
comeout.

Thane