Re: [Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 23:53:47 -0600 (CST)

>I was having a think about the frightening vulnerability of titans to close
>combat by swarms of cheap troops and it occurs to me that in fact there is
>no problem at all...
>
>Check this train of reasoning and see if there is a flaw:
>
>1) When you make base to base contact with a model you are "pinned" and
>must stop moving. (Unless you are a flyer, skimmer, too big to be pinned by
>the thing you contact or the enemy model is already pinned.)

Okay.

>2) In order to gain a multiple attacker bonus on a titan, you must contact
>the feet (unless you are a flyer, skimmer, jump troop or titan).

Where'd you get this from (I don't have my copies of Titan Legions or Space
Marine handy)?

>3) YOU CAN'T CONTACT THE FEET IF YOU ARE PINNED BY BASE TO BASE CONTACT!!!!

If I recall correctly the Titan must volunteer to allow its base to pin
things, and hence if it volunteered I would think that it would count just
as well for purposes of ganging up as the feet would.

>Soooooo....
>
>Unless the titan is pinned by another titan, only skimmers and jump troops
>can get a multiple attacker bonus on the titan.

If your earlier line of reasoning is correct then why would the titan being
pinned matter?

>One of the guys I play with suggests that I must be deranged to even suggest
>something this absurd but I don't know, as the rules stand (I mean EPIC
>Space Marine) I can't see any problem.
>
>Feedback, please...

Well, as always, I agree with this proposal to strengthen titans, but I just
don't think your rules interpretations are correct here, though I could be
wrong, of course, as like I previously stated, I don't have my rules books
handy.

>Agro

Mike the Liu