Re: [Epic] Newbie Questions

From: Mike Looney IONet <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 21:14:46 -0500

Paul Welling wrote:

> Hello all!

Greetings...

> Ok, We (my son and I) are complete newbies to this game - just got the
> Warhammer Epic 40K set last week. So far, so good! The game looks and
> plays great; kinda brings me back 15 or so years to the old "Chainmail"
> days.. :)

Ah, chainmail Game I started with back in '76.

> Anyways, enough reminiscing.. Hows about a few "newbie questions"?
>
> First off, if I read the rules correctly, the Space Marine Land Raiders
> seem awful tough! 2 shots/turn, hit on 4+? Is that right? The rulebook says
> "2x anti-tank". Very powerful...

Yes, that what they are. You do need to know that super heavy weapons
ARE shut down by blast markers at a rate of one SHW per blast marker, so
making an all land raider detachment with no "fire power" units in it
can be made to not work real well with only minor amount of blast
markers being dropped on it.

> Secondly, the description of the Space Marine Scouts says they are not as
> well armored as the regular Marines, but the stats chart shows them as
> being the SAME except add Infiltrator.. am I missing something?

Nope. Scouts are the same. Fluff vs rules effect. GW is famous for
that.

> Another thing: It's kinda unclear about bikes/boarz.. does each piece
> represent one unit, or does a stand of 3 equal a unit? One Marine combat
> bike has a firepower of 2; The ork battlewagons only Have a fp of 1..
> Doesn't seem right.

1 stand of 3 bikes is a unit. A bike squadron is 1-3 units (i.e. 3-9
actual minis) Note that "attack bikes" are not bikes in this context.
And yes they do have better fire power than ork battle wagons.

> Also, if anyone has any advice, tips, stories, etc.. we'd LOVE to hear
> them.. We are just getting into the whole thing, so any tidbits would be
> muchly appreciated! :)

You might check out my page, which among other things has the Epic Q&A
(more or less official, coming straight from the designer, the E41K
expansion rules and is a good starting point for the Epic Web Ring

http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/epic