Re: [Epic] Re: Overwatch & indirect artillery

From: Mike Looney - ionet <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:28:05 -0500

REMPORT131_at_... wrote:

> I see we need a new topic for discussion.
>
> How many of you believe as I do, that any artillery ( disrupt, barrage
> , hvy
> barrage) in epic should not be allowed to go into Overwatch unless
> they have
> LOS.
>
> Overwatch indicates that they are taking careful preparations to fire.
> How can
> they prepare if they cannot even see their target. I understand that
> observers
> could help them but to me its not the same as actually seeing where
> the rounds
> land. Besides, artillery in WWII was never able to wipe out entire
> detachments
> anyway. I was meant to soften up the other army for the main attack.
> If WWII
> artillery was written up as EPIC it would probably be rated with
> Disrupt
> abillity not Barrage or Heavy Barrage. I have nothing against
> artillery in
> EPIC I just wish that it was written a bit more realisticly.

1) Epic Artillery has nothing to do with realism. Once you understand
that all else follows. This is a long standing rant of mine, if you
(being the list in general) want to have me go over the details again,
let me know....

2) If you are going to make this requirement you should also triple (at
least) the range of artillery in general.

3) The major killer in WW2 and WW1 was artillery. The major unit killer
in the ground war in Iraq was artillery. Read "How to Make War" some
time for the exact numbers and effects of artillery in the 20th
century. Lets just say you don't seem to have a full grasp on WW2
combined arms tactics.

To defend the allowing of artillery going on over watch:
Lets assume that when artillery does normal fire it is "shoot and scoot"
mode, and fires say 3 rounds per tube. When they go on over watch,
they stop moving (more or less) and fire 6-9 rounds per tube. Don't
forget that an Epic 40K turn is at least 4 turns of WH40K.

You might look at the E41K rules for artillery at
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/e41K/Rules/ablity-changes.htm

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus