Re: [Epic] Drivers are Space Marines too

From: Mike Looney IONet <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:03:18 -0500

Aaron Day wrote:

> Mike Looney - ionet wrote:
> >
> > Back in my US Army days I was a Radar Mech. I was trained as a driver
> > for all of the vehicles that my battery had. That didn't mean I was a
> > driver, it meant I could be if needed.
>
> Well, now I know where you get your artillery predjudice.

No, that is where I get my Air Defense prejudice. I get my artillery
views from LOTS of readings on W.W.II for other games and general
history knowledge.

> > Obviously the limit of 1000 marines per chapter is crock. Lets see, 10
> > squads of 10 times 10 companies. That makes 1000. Ok, what about the
> > captains, commanders, librarians, medics and Techmarines? Do they come
> > out of the 1000 also?
>
> The C:UM specifically mentions commanders, librarians, techmarines,
> servitors as "Support Personel" which are not counted as part of the
> 1000.

OK, we have found the problem. In WH40K Compendium (The Red Book) page
138:

"Apart from single seat bikes each vehicle requires a Tech marine
custodian...
<snipage about point cost>
Rhinos, Land Raider and Grav-Attacks can only be driven by Tech Marines
or other personality models."

It goes on about support weapons needing tech marines.

Now this army list gives you 6D6 Tech marines and you need 1 per
vehicle, not the "at least 1 to have any" that the Codex:smurfs uses.

When I play WH40K I play RT era rules. Which means that I assume
drivers are Tech Marines, which are NOT part of the 1000 as you point
out.

> > The 1000 is, to use phrase, "the fox hole strength" (i.e enlisted grunts
> > with a gun in hand) of a chapter. It does not include AFV crews,
> > command and control staff and other support types.
>
> I agree that the way it is set up doesn't make sense IRL, that's why I'm
> bringing it up.

The only space marine army list that I have EVER seen that makes sense
in RL is the Horus Wars stuff from WD 126.