Re: [Epic] Titans and CC (a new theory...)

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 13:58:41 -0600 (CST)

>>>I was having a think about the frightening vulnerability of titans to close
>>>combat by swarms of cheap troops and it occurs to me that in fact there is
>>>no problem at all...

>>Actually all you have to do is keep a battery of Whirlwinds with LOS to
>>your titans. With their void shields the Whirlwinds 0 save modifier won't
>>hurt the titan but will kill about 1/2 the stuff in contact with your
>>titan, which will be able to handle the rest. Also the Multiple Rocket
>>Launcher will serve the same purpose (6 pt. barrage w/ no save modifier).
>>Eldar can use Doomweavers as their titans 1+ save means they are immune to
>>the webs, though the auto drift thing may bite you. You can't swarm
>>Tyranid bio-titans. Anyone ever see one without ripper Tentacles? I don't
>>think you can out swarm the orcs to swamp one of their gargants, I'd have
>>to see it to believe it.
>>
>>Another cute one is to arm Warhounds with a flamer and have them "leapfrog"
>>each other. Keep one on 1rst fire and move the other to the wide point of
>>where the flame template would be. Move them towards infantry formations.
>>Use the other hard point for a TLD and go to town.

>Sorry Thomas, but only orcs chaos and tyranids can place templates over
>friendly troops. I know that the zero save stuff can't hurt a void shielded
>titan (or a 1+ save super heavy) but "good guys" still can't shoot friendlies.

I hear the house rules calling on this one Thomas! I mean c'mon, I
mentioned this on the list last time and everyone shot me down, but I think
it is _really_ _really_ lame that the good guys aren't willing to fire upon
each other with barrages. Many a time this has been the crucial point of
one of my plans, leave a Titan seemingly vulnerable, with a few defenders
who are quickly swarmed and killed and get him CC. Once a large portion of
his army is in contact, fire a barrage and wipe out all his attackers. I
don't think it would be too hard to convince troops, no matter how "good
guys" they are, to fire upon a walking building of theirs, with full
knowledge their shots can't hurt it due to shielding, to save it from going
down to massed attackers. Hell, even if its just they see another one of
their units sure to go down to CC within seconds being swarmed by many
enemies, I'm sure they would be willing to shoot at them and kill everyone
involved. Hence, this is the way we've always played.

As to the "good guys" status, this is what me and a few others have been
griping about for the past few days. There aren't supposed to _be_ any
"good guys" in the dark future that knows only war. This is the same
Imperium that (it used to, doubt it still does) wipes out every Imperial
Guard regiment that comes into contact with Chaos after the battle. I also
have a hard time believing that the Eldar, guided by their presentient
Farseers would be so short sighted as to be unwilling to fire upon each
other for the greater good.

>What I really want to know is why people think that you CAN swarm a titan
>with hordes of little things when the rules so round a boutly say you can't...

Does it specifically say that infantry/vehicles need to be touching the feet
to gain multiple attacker bonuses?

>>"...'cause when its time to collect its only heroes who pay..." Ministry, Hero
>>
>> Thomas

>Agro

Michael the Liu