Re: [Epic] Re: TYRANIDS

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 20:33:33 -0600

Erik D6stberg wrote:

> owner-space-marine_at_...:
> > Does anyone play tyranids here.The only reason i didn't play as
> them is
> > because I thought their strong point was their hand-to-hand
> combat. Is this
> > true? Is their artillary any good?Are they very long range?Me
> and my friend
> > play very big and large battles where we may be 6 feet apart at
> one time.
> >
> -Warl.Loga
> >

> Well, they do have the Biovores, at range 60 they are quite OK.
> Dactylis can be nice.
>
> I like Exocrines too, but compared to Land Raiders, they seem
> overpriced.
> Probably the Land Raider being underpriced though.
>
> One thing I've been considering lately is whether or not to use
> Assault spawn. They are a bit on the expensive side and you need a
> few to put together a worthy swarm. What's the opinion?
>
> Erik O

I use assault spawn to move my biovores into range in one march move,
then to add cc/ff suport afterwards. Biovore only have a range of 45cm,
and they are too slow to move into range by themselves. I've tried
podding them in, but it sucks too much when they fail to enter by turn 3
or 4; you want the biovore available earlier so the enemy will be good
and suppressed by the time you're assault units hit the table.

Thane's biovore unit:
5 biovore (usually good for 4 or 5 blast markers on overwatch)
2 TW's
1 HT
4 Assault spawn

March on turn one to safe cover, then overwatch thereafter.

I've used them for transporting TW units:
9 TW, 1 HT, 5 assault spawn

Bugs have a learning curve assaociated with their use, but they are
really fun at the top of the curve. You'll want at least 8 boxes of
infantry (16 sprues) and maybe a few more.

Thane