Re: [Epic] Vortex Missile against shields

From: Mike Looney IONet <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:09:14 -0500

Kelley, Kevin J., JCS wrote:

> Now I am confused even more - the death ray IIRC (ie deathstrike missle)
> hits on a 2+ and ignores shields. Hence I rolled D3=3 hits and all three
> dice were two or more so three hits. Really wasnt much debate on the three
> criticals - but the arguement was since they ignore the power fields they
> dont damage them as well. Actually the thing didnt brew up & it survived
> the battle :)

Where did you get the "ignores shields" part of death ray?

Page 33. Rule book

"Death rays are like super anti-tank weapons. They always roll one dice
to hit, and always treat the targets armour value as being 2, regardless
of what it actually is. (i.e. always roll 1 dice to hit, hitting on
2+) Because of the awesome potency of these weapons Death Ray hits
always cause critical damage against war engines: Roll on the Critical
Damage Table on the war engines data sheet."

Notice that nothing is said about ignoring shields. Now we go to Page
42 of the rules:

"Many war engines are protected by banks of power or void shields. Both
type work in a similar way, each generator raising an energy field which
is able to absorb 1 hit before being 'knocked down'. Each hit that is
absorbed will have no effect on the war engine itself and no critical
dames rolls are made. When all of a war engines shields are down any
future hits will cause damage as normal. Use the tiny dice to mark lost
shields by placing them just in front of the war engine to show the
number of shields remaining."

No where does it say that Death Rays ignore shields.

If you still have shields up, all a death ray does is give you a 84%
chance of dropping 1, repeat, 1 shield.