RE: [Epic] Geohex Terrain

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:07:25 -0400

Doug says:
> That being said, I prefer
> to make my own scenery boards, which is remarkably quite easy and very
> inexpensive.

Thanks for the description. Any way to get pictures?

I think this sounds like fun, but I've held off for a while for various
reasons. (The biggest one being that I've got a lot of Geohex already.)

I've got a big piece of blue insulation foam. But what do you mean about a
fiberglass coating? What does this look like? I don't think I've seen
this.

How do you cut your boards into 4x2 rectangles? Is it hard to get the cut
straight enough that pieces go together well? I was thinking of making a
cutter that is a big flat piece of wood with a lip to slide the foam board
along, and a heating wire perpendicular to the board at a distance from the
lip equal to my desired board size. I tried it once with a blade instead of
a heating wire, and it must have not been parallel to the lip, because the
blade would slide to the side, and I didn't get straight edges.

Do you make the boards interchangeable, or do they always go together in the
same pattern?

There's a nice description with pictures of how Gary James made his on
Terragenesis (look under gaming boards):

http://www.altdorf.com/terragenesis/

andy