Re: [Epic] Transports and overwatch

From: Larry Irish <wirish1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 11:59:55 -0400

>> Does anyone know if it is allowed to put units in tranports on overwatch
>> orders and then drop them off in the movement phase.
>> E.g. am I allowed to put my Biovores (which are inside an Assault Spawn) on
>> overwatch, move my Assault Spawn 20cm, and the drop off the Biovores?
>
>If they are in different dets (so they can get different orders): yes in
>theory
>
>reality: dismounting costs 5cm movement. On overwatch there are only 5cm
>available, so they need all movement for dismounting and have zero
>movement left for actually moving. Means the overwatching unit has to stay
>in exactly the same location, thus it cannot leave the trnasport.
>DV

Hmmm....let me first say that I haven't played in quite awhile, so my rules
recollections may be dead wrong.

That aside, I thought that the rules stated that troops that disembark
start their movement touching the former transport (and of course loose the
5cm for being transported).

If this is the case, couldn't you just place the disembarking stands
adjacent to the transport and put them on overwatch?

Oh yeah - here's a lame question on this topic. Can transported troops use
their firepower? That is, can the stands of infantry being transported
count their Firepower stat during the Shooting phase? How about for
SnapFire? These are most likely in the rulesbooks, but as I don't have them
handy at work, etc etc.....

"When you look into the Warp, the Warp looks into you"
- Unheeded Ulthwe proverb

Larry