Re: [Epic] Final Liberation Almost For Free (OT)

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:47:52 -0400

Roland Gunslinger wrote:

> >Roland,
> >
> >In all fairness to Final Lib, a lot of us on this list playtested the
> game
> >and got as many things changed as we could before it was released ...
> BUT
> >... the developers were under intense pressure to get it finished so a
> >fairly substandard product was released.
> >
> >What is it that you do not like about FL ... we can go back and see how
> >close it is to our laundry list of complaints. For instance ... we had
> >push them to make squads of infantry have 5 members rather than 4.
> >
> >Oh well ...
>
> thanks for actually answering!
> you sound kinda pissed off about the "crap", so sorry about that.
> for starters, FL isn4t in rea-ltime.

        uh... neither is Epic. Some of us prefer turn-based
strategy, and most people wouldn't dismiss a game just because
it's one or the other.

> of course you could argue that other, turn-based games have been
> successful
> but i think that real-time is a must nowadays.
> secondly, FL visuals are just plain cr...ummy.they do not live up to
> todays standards.
> Basically, playing FL just isn4t "fun" (nevermind the realism rightnow).
> i4ll get back to you soon.

        Graphics are good but not even close to cutting-edge,
yes. I can live with that. My main problem with the game was
that the AI was dumb as sh*t even at the highest difficulty -
I never even considered that I might lose any of the fights
except for one of the times I got counter-attacked (and I
won that one anyway). Winning the game became a tedious
exercise more than anything else.

        Oh, and the last battle was amazingly disappointing &
confusing.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Don't you laugh, damn you, don't you laugh!" - Clockwork Orange