Re: [Epic] Final Liberation Almost For Free (OT)

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 19:37:36 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 21-Aug-98 Re: [Epic] Final Liberation.. by Thane
Morgan_at_...
> Play X-com Apocalypse in real time and turn based, and see which one makes
> you think more.

    That was the game I feel is the exception. I think far more in
real-time mode, which is a bit like the old Space Hulk game since you
can pause it to give orders. Turn-based comes with a bunch of necessary
abstractions, to make it flow. The continuous movement in real-time
makes it much more interesting to plan. You can actually post a bunch
of guys to hose down anything that comes down a particular hallway. In
turn-based, you generally just posted a spotter and a bunch of guys
safely around a corner or hidden behind doorways.

    I'm also of the opinion that Wolf3d and Descent and Quake are about
the same. There's another degree of freedom or two, and a couple of
neat interactions you can do to the environment, but that doesn't do
much more than increase the number of ways you can move around. They're
still twitch games at heart. The planning involved in covering 2
possible approaches isn't that much different than covering several, and
running a circuit is still about the same, you just have more places to
expect ambushes. It's a very nice evolution of the genre, but the same
genre.

Mark