RE: [Epic] Another Epic40K vs NetEpic post :)

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 07:50:53 -0400

This is friendly discussion, not a version flame. :)

> Epic40K is a FUN game I will admit. I personally was VERY skeptical of it
> when I saw it but I did enjoy playing it. My gripes with the system have
> nothing to do with how the game plays but the way the rules are
> written. Its
> lost what little wargaming feel the old edition had and replaced it with
> sterilized generic stats. I'd play Generic Legions if I wanted that (and
> that is free and can use any model). The older editions may have been more
> complex but they were much truer "wargames" then the comic book
> style fights
> of Epic40K.

That's funny, because it is the exact kind of argument that I've heard from
E40K supporters--that the new version is much more like a wargame than the
old.

I'd have to say I don't understand how simpler stats makes it more generic,
though, or have less of an interesting feel.

If you compare time, of course you'd have to compare games of similar
numbers of minis (not points, which aren't equal between systems), and
similar familiarity between rulesets. Although I've not played either game
frequently enough to not have to look stuff up, I do get the impression that
I can play more turns more quickly in E40K. But I've heard the exact same
anecdotes both ways. (We were playing X, and on the next table they were
playing Y. We finished two games in the time it took the other guys to
almost finish their game. :)

andy