Re: [Epic] Newbie to Epic

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 10:18:09 -0600

Greg Lane wrote:

> Thane,
>
> I do not recognize the E40K you are playing and your references to the older system,
> which I played extensively, and time to play, etc. are so out of whack they hardly
> bear responding to. Anyone claiming to have properly run a game of 2nd Edition with
> 5000 pts pre side within 2 hours is a histiorical revisionist ... or worse. I do not
> know you, so I will jsut assume you have an axe to grind and can't remember well.

Maybe you're just slow. It's nothing to be ashamed of.....

Believe me, I can fantasize way more interesting things than the length of our SM/TL
games. mmmmmmmmm, Spice Girls....

> It is clear you have a strong bias against the new system, which is your loss. I am
> certain no amount of discussion is going to change you mind, so I will not try
> reasoned argument with you. I would love to play with you sometime, and show you as
> we go why the E40K systems is both a better wargame and a better simulation. But, we
> may never have the cahance ... again, your loss.

I doubt if I'd have the the 2 or 3 days it would take to finish a game with you. But
thanks for the offer.

> Please desist in trying to turn new players agains the best wargame system ever
> published by GW and possibly one of the best ever ... based on having played
> literally dozens of miniatures systems and hundreds of board game systems over the
> past 40 years. My mild loss of hand eye coordiantion may make my comnputer gaming
> less skillful these days, but my strategic and tactical thinking skills have never
> been better!
>
> We would all enjoy any positive comments about any system or any edition of this
> game. As I said, I still play all the versions occasionally. But the BS you spew
> about E40K is not well received.

Sorry, it makes me feel better when I think of the hundreds of dollars lost on the game
when it converted, and all the players who threw up their hands in disgust with the new
edition and loss of armies. I refuse to limit myself to positive comments about anything;
what, do you work for Disney?

I accept that I may never play SM/TL again, but telling new players that E40K is the
Ultimate Wargame may likely turn them against all wargames, which is sad.

Thane