Re: [Epic] Chaos Marine Air Defense & Artillery (E40K)

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 16:03:57 +1000

Scott Shupe wrote:

> The flyer detachment is not a Chaos Space Marine detachment,
> so if you take flyers you lose the 5 strategy rating. A pure CSM
> army would be composed of nothing but Chaos Space Marine, Chaos
> Marine Armor, and Supreme Commander (Warmaster, no Daemon Prince)
> detachments.

I disagree. The touchstone I use, which I've stated in another post, is
that if a detachment can have CSMs in it, it's a CSM detachment for the
purposes of the strategy rating.

I can see where you're coming from though. Certainly there's a good
argument that Chaos Space Marines are only CSM and CSM armour
detachments (with the status of Supreme Commander left obscure). I'd
agree that a Supreme Commander who's a Warmaster should also be
considered CSM.

Where I disagree is with the Daemon Prince bit, and Chaos Artillery.

The Daemon Prince is obviously supposed to represent either a Primarch
or more likely a trusty Lieutenant who's achieved Apeothesis (ie turned
into an Immortal). In either case, a CSM.

As regards Chaos Artillery, EVERY ONE of the unit types in question can
be found in a CSM detachment. In fact, it's possible to have two
detachments with an identical points cost and force mix, one a CSM
detachment, the other a Chaos Artillery detachment. It's impossible in
fact to have something in a Chaos Artillery detachment that's found in
anything other than a CSM detachment.

So for my money, the Chaos Artillery is also CSM.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo