Re: [Epic] Chaos Marine Air Defense & Artillery (E40K)

From: Scott Shupe <shupe_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 16:38:52 -0400

Alan E & Carmel J Brain wrote:

> Scott Shupe wrote:
>
> > The flyer detachment is not a Chaos Space Marine detachment,
> > so if you take flyers you lose the 5 strategy rating. A pure CSM
> > army would be composed of nothing but Chaos Space Marine, Chaos
> > Marine Armor, and Supreme Commander (Warmaster, no Daemon Prince)
> > detachments.
>
> I disagree. The touchstone I use, which I've stated in another post, is
> that if a detachment can have CSMs in it, it's a CSM detachment for the
> purposes of the strategy rating.

        Well that's why (in my mind), you should only get the
CSM strat rating of 5 if your army is composed of nothing but
CSM models - i.e. no daemon engines, not even in support of
a CSM infantry det.

> As regards Chaos Artillery, EVERY ONE of the unit types in question can
> be found in a CSM detachment. In fact, it's possible to have two
> detachments with an identical points cost and force mix, one a CSM
> detachment, the other a Chaos Artillery detachment. It's impossible in
> fact to have something in a Chaos Artillery detachment that's found in
> anything other than a CSM detachment.

        A counter argument is that a chaos engine detachment
lowers the strat rating (even if it has CSMs in support)
because the det. type determines who's in command. CSM det.
with engine support -> CSMs are in control. Daemon engine
det. with CSM support -> daemons are in control, and thus the
lower rating.

Scott
shupes_at_...