Re: [Epic] [Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

From: Blacksteel <blacksteel_at_...>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 01:45:38 -0500

>>1) Why? Many of us on the list have it, someone could just scan it in.
Save

-----> Fair enough

>And do you really think most of the people on this list have the original
>SM? A quick show of hands.

-------> I said "Many" not "most", and it was a suggestion for scanning it,
not a statement that it wasn't needed. I've scanned in several of my old
rules sets to save wear and tear on the books, give a copy of a damage chart
or something to a friend, and to have it in case I have another fire or
something (Fires & Largely Paper Hobbies do NOT get along well. Smoke and
Water are not high on the guest list either). I don't put them out for
people to take.

Matter of fact, I think you'll find most of the people who would be
interested in SM1/ATstuff are the ones who already have it, not new players.

>>2) Think anyone might have a problem with that, like maybe THE ORIGINAL
>>AUTHORS AND COPYRIGHT HOLDERS?!!!
>>

>Do you use the BattleBible? Same thing. But mine does not compete with
>currently published material or even intend to.

------> No I don't use the batlebible - I already have the rules. You don't
have to be competing with published material. You're printing something
someone else owns and who chooses not to give it away for free. If they
don't object, fine, but since it is a business who owns it, I wouldn't hold
my breath.

And do you honestly think that because the battlebible has been out on the
net for what, a month, that suddenly everyone is free to publish other
people's material, out of print or not? Please...
Word 6.0 is out of print also, but if I start making copies and giving them
away, do you think I'm not breaking the law?

>>I'd also add "Looking to get a letter from GW's legal department"
>>

>Its no different from NetEpic my fine feathered friend. I appreciate the
>concern but am not holding my breath.

---------> Net Epic isn't a verbatim copy of the Epic rules. Apparently
yours is. Different thing.

>>Chris Miller
>>
>>(Long-Ago Player of AT & SM1. I can appreciate the sentiment of wanting to
>>bring it back, but flagrantly posting it on one's site is just
>>mind-boggling. Don't you think this has come up before? Don't you think
>>there's a reason this hasn't been done with any companies' game without
>>their permission?)
>>

>Again. BattleBible and NetEpic. Battlebible actually competed with their
>products. Mine does not. I'm not selling it or anything. And I think Epic
>needs all the help it can get :)

-------> You don't have to sell it - it isn't yours to sell OR give away.
You can sell or give away your original product ,if you have one, but you
can't just make copies yourself for other people's use because you want to.
As for not competing, that's kind of up to GW, and that "Mine" in there
kinda pisses me off - since when did the 1st Edition Epic rules become
"Yours"?

As for helping Epic, yeah, a website with the 1st edition rules is really
going to help. I can hear the cash registers ringing now...

>And most people do not have access tot he original edition. You may, but
the
>only copies you can find now are in auctions for 2x the original price.

----------> Try some used game stores - it's usually half price. I've picked
up 2 extra copies, mainly for the mini's and buildings. And in case you
forget, you're _supposed_ to pay for it - Or receive it as a gift. Not take
bootleg copies for free...
Standard software piracy type answer, just adapted to printed material now.
"It costs too much, so it's OK to make illegal copies." B.S.

>Play Tactical Strike. Better game anyways.

---------> Never heard of it, and I've played a lot of miniatures rules. If
this other game is better, why aren't you promoting it more? There appears
to be a need, as none of the people I game with have heard about it either.

>Go in peace my Epic friends. ;)
>
>Ken

----------> Enjoy it while it lasts, pirate-boy.

Chris Miller