Re: [Epic] GW Gripes

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 09:35:07 -0600

At 08:34 AM 3/4/97 +1000, you wrote:

>I beg to differ here. In 40K most of the tactics seem to revolve around
>PICKING your troops, not working with what you've got. I'm not saying his
>purely through observation as I play the game as well (and I still enjoy
>it). But on the battlefield most (and I do say most) 40K commanders are of
>the "Line 'em up and advance across the board" mentality. Little tactics
>come into it.

So what's to stop you from blowing them away tactically? A friend of mine
ran an Eldar force (before the Velveeta codex) and smoked nearly everyone
(back when no one thought the Eldar army was worth spit). How, you ask? He
had a core force that did the advance and fire routine (or hold and fire).
Adjacent to that he would use a force fo Howling Banshees to flank (they're
pretty quick) and next to that bikes or dreadnoughts. He would bring at
least 3/4 of his army to bear on no more than 1/2 of his opponent's forces
and obliterate them, then sweep across the board laterally to finish his
opponent off. Tactics can still win over brute force.

> I see it all the time, especially with the younger players.

That's because they have the time and the necessary obsession to pore over
the rules looking for every little bit of edge. Show them that they need it
because they dont' use tactics.

>I even had one player complain about his Harlequins and that they never
>survived a battle. I watched him play a couple of games and his general
>tactic was to advance them into the open and run like hell across the board!
>I told him to use them better and take advantage of cover and he said "I
>never thought of that!". Geez.

See above. In short, if you go in and use tactics, you should be able to
win against someone who has done more min/maxing. If you see that kid in
your example coming, take a squad with rapid fire weapons and hose him. If
you see some guy taking Khorne champions in terminator armor with demon
weapons, lure him into the open where your heavy weapons can hose those huge
point blocks.

temp