Re: [Epic] Sorting out the Dominatrix

From: Greg Lane <greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 13:46:48 -0500

J Andrew Evans wrote:

> Message text written by INTERNET:space-marine_at_...
> >The way BM's affect war engines is probably bad all the way around as
> well;
> I've stated before that WE's are too big to be affected by the same
> suppression rules as infantry, unless you want to divide the actual number
> of
> BM's by 3 or 4.<
>
> I think this is the heart of my problem with the consensus we seem to be
> reaching on the 1 BM closes down one weapon regardless of whether is a
> single DR or (d6 x DR) or a single anti-tank shot as opposed to multiple
> BMs for the more powerful. This rule, interpreted the way we are means it
> is relatively easy to suppress WEs firepower since they are often
> "platforms" for super-heavy weaponry.
>
> Surely something this big would be harder to stop.
>
> A#

I agree with your point regarding the corectness of the "simulation" of BM's
effects on SHW's.

Now, twice, different RoolzBoyz (I know, just read the rest, ok?) gave me a
interpretation that the War Engines firepower would need to be offset first,
before the BM's apply to the SHW, EVEN if the WE FP were "out of range". Such
is the cause for my request to Allen to have Jervis clarify this point.

By the way, I believe the same argument extends to a detachment of artillery
with infantry support. The Artillery can't fire just because they have a
couple of BM's and no enemy are in the supporting troopers FP range? Why
would you ever assault the Artillery ... which should be a primary tactic to
neutralize these types of detachments.

Also, a detachment of Land Raiders in support of infantlry is moving across
the field and picks up a few BM's ... the first thing suppressed is the heavy
tanks, just because they are in range and the troopers FP is not? This is not
a good simulation.

However, in all these cases, if you recognize the FP, even if it is "out of
range", then the "simulation" is protected and the "gaming" aspects are not
warped by the BM rule.

Not a perfect solution, but it does make sense and works in most cases.
Imagine beign Eldar and having the Engines of Vaul shut down by 3 BM's ...
even though they have some FP, but it is just barely out of range ... it was
that situation (and I was his opponenet) that made me reconsider this whole
thing.

It even works for the Imperator, which could be shut down by just a couple of
BM's until its FP comes into range. Can't buy that either. SHW's, especially
those mounted on large platforms are not that susceptible to suppression.

Greg