Re: [Epic] "FIREPOWER" and Blast Markers

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 13:10:30 -0600

J Andrew Evans wrote:

> Two things.
>
> Firstly, in FIREPOWER it is Super-heavy tanks that are offered a new critical
> table, not all WEs. The new orders apply to WEs which therefore includes
> Super-heavy tanks and Titans.
>
> Secondly, why are disrupt weapons so good? When any one weapon fires there is
> only a 50% chance (4+) of it placing 1 BMs. It seems to me that you need rank
> on rank of Disrupt weapons in order to have any effect. Do this however
> (despite the expense of buying them) and you use up a lots of points on a
> weapons that is only partially successfully. Good old, natural, firepower in
> reasonable numbers places a nicely satisfactory numbers of BMs. Add SHWs and
> the numbers stack up very nicely.
>
> Can someone explain this fascination with Disrupt weapons. What are the tactics
> that I'm missing?
>
> Waiting with bated breath for my preconceptions to be disrupted :)
>
> A#
>
> Alan E & Carmel J Brain wrote:

Disrupt attacks are capable of ending games way faster than regular fire power. For
20 points, you can get a 2 fp, 45 cm heavy weapon unit, or a biovore with a 45 cm
range disrupt attack. For 100 points, you can get 10 FP, or 5 disrupt attacks. 10 FP
= 1 blast marker and maybe 2 casualties, 5 disrupt = 4 blast markers on a typical
role. 2 of such units can either place 2 blast markers and kill 4 units, or 8 bm's.
Those 8 BM's will be deducting morale for 3 turns, and leave the unit stuck in
place, waiting for an assault where they attackers will likely be at +2 just from
BM's.

I usually field this bug Detat:
4 assault spawn
1 HT
2 TW
5 biovore

280 points. If spore dropped, 184 points. I field it in pairs and they can easily
place 8 BM's per turn on 1 detat. In My last game, I used both detats to put 9 BM's
on a Ork Battlefortress, then killed it. By nomal rules, -11 to enemy morale, +2 to
mine. My opponent didn't like house rules, so we didn't use my normal house rule
that you can't lose more morale from BM's on a detat than its normal morale, a rule
I developed specifically to let my tyrannid games last more than 3 turns. Bugs need
biovore to win assaults handily, but by normal rules they drop enemy morale way
faster than their points would seem to merit.

Thane