Re: [Epic] "FIREPOWER" and Blast Markers

From: Scott Shupe <shupe_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 01:47:53 -0400

J Andrew Evans wrote:

> OK. I'm not entirely following. Let's work through your answer.
>
> Thane Morgan wrote:
>
> > Disrupt attacks are capable of ending games way faster than regular fire power. For
> > 20 points, you can get a 2 fp, 45 cm heavy weapon unit, or a biovore with a 45 cm
> > range disrupt attack. For 100 points, you can get 10 FP, or 5 disrupt attacks.
>
> OK So far, I've with you. You can buy more disrupt weapons for your points. That
> presumably is the argument for putting their price up.
>
> > 10 FP = 1 blast marker and maybe 2 casualties, 5 disrupt = 4 blast markers on a
> > typical
> > role.
>
> What! Disrupts surely work on a 4+ effectiveness. This is 50% chance so on average 5
> disrupt attacks you get 2.5BMs (actually 2-3BMs). No way on a "typical role" are you
> getting 4 BMs. Or am I still missing something? However to that extent your argument
> still holds as the 10FP has still only won you 1BM.

        Well, Thane might be assuming overwatch orders. The bug,
chaos, and eldar disrupt weapons all have the artillery ability
and a decent reach (or mobility in the bug's case), so it's not
tough to stick them in cover somewhere and sit around on overwatch.

> > 2 of such units can either place 2 blast markers and kill 4 units, or 8 bm's.
>
> Well, five BMs by my calculations, but OK. But what's this about kills! There's my
> problem. You have your BMs and that does freeze your opponent but disrupt weapons place
> no hits - according to my reading of the rules (p33 "Disrupt weapons inflict no other
> damage).

        Kills/hits do not win battles. BMs win battles. Disrupts
are much more efficient at placing BMs than other weapons for the
points.

> Right the victory is clear, but we still have a weapon that, OK, has won you between
> double and triple the BMs for the same points cost, but has not actually killed
> anything.
>
> Or are you being cunning and winning just by lowering morale and not actually fighting
> anything?

        Bingo. Not really that cunning, though.

> OK to lay down the suppression fire but in the end someone's got to go in a kill them.
> This is the "downer" of disrupt, they do not kill.

        Finishing off a unit with 10+ BMs is not at all difficult.

Scott Shupe
shupe_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Stupid f**king words!" - Fugazi