[Epic] different scales

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:24:06 -0400

I'd agree with Mike's rant about scales, except that this is a GW game. GW
routinely ignores standard wargame basics. I asked them once about the
figure scale of epic figures when I was just starting, and they acted like
they'd never heard of the common scale names (either by ratio (1/285 or
whatever) or height (6mm)). They just claimed they are all in scale with
each other, so why does it matter? I don't remember any descriptions of
figure scale for their games.

Similarly, I think that GW assumes figure scale is ground scale, and just
ignores any strange effects this has on weapon ranges. They never mention
the concept, where Dirtside II makes this very explicit.

On the other hand, I usually assume this to be the case, anyway, so I don't
worry about units not blocking LOS, or blown up tanks blocking any terrain.
I still regret the ratio of movement ranges to firing range a little bit,
except that I think it has improved the action of the games.

andy