Re: [Epic] FIREPOWER Follow Up question

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:37:02 -0600

J Andrew Evans wrote:

> Firepower has now hit the UK stores (Well its in Oxford) so we can scotch the rumour that
> it is mail order only. As requested, Official Rules change from FIREPOWER re flak:
>
> "Overall, using flak vehicles seems to be a waste of time unless you're protecting an
> immobile target like an artillery battery. In order to make flak units a bit more useful
> the following rule now applies."
>
> "Flak units may Snap fire at flyers and drop pods at up to their maximum range, no
> special orders are needed. Note however that any special abilities the flak unit has
> do not apply to snap snots (i.e. the Fire Priism anti-tank abilkity), If on special
> (!) orders the flak unit work as described in the rules."
>
> "By way of a clarification it is possible to place a detachment on special orders and
> have the flak units fire at flyers and the artillery units prep barrage. The intention
> to use a preparatory barrage must be stated at the time when the order dice is placed on
> the flak to put it on alert."

Thanks for the info, but does it really read like that? Paragraph 2 says you don't need "!"
orders to use flack. Paragraph 3 seems to state you do need the "!" die "to put it on alert".
Could that clarification be more obscuring?

Or is Paragraph 2 saying each flak unit automatically gets a 30 or 45 cm snap shot at each
plane that comes by, and then additional attacks if on"!". Because that is absurdly powerful,
and 3 flak guns could eliminate squadrons of any size with little effort.

Thane