Re: [Epic] FIREPOWER Follow Up question

From: Greg Lane <greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:24:38 -0500

Thane Morgan wrote:

> J Andrew Evans wrote:
>
> > Firepower has now hit the UK stores (Well its in Oxford) so we can scotch the rumour that
> > it is mail order only. As requested, Official Rules change from FIREPOWER re flak:
> >
> > "Overall, using flak vehicles seems to be a waste of time unless you're protecting an
> > immobile target like an artillery battery. In order to make flak units a bit more useful
> > the following rule now applies."
> >
> > "Flak units may Snap fire at flyers and drop pods at up to their maximum range, no
> > special orders are needed. Note however that any special abilities the flak unit has
> > do not apply to snap snots (i.e. the Fire Priism anti-tank abilkity), If on special
> > (!) orders the flak unit work as described in the rules."
> >
> > "By way of a clarification it is possible to place a detachment on special orders and
> > have the flak units fire at flyers and the artillery units prep barrage. The intention
> > to use a preparatory barrage must be stated at the time when the order dice is placed on
> > the flak to put it on alert."
> >

> Thanks for the info, but does it really read like that? Paragraph 2 says you don't need "!"
> orders to use flack. Paragraph 3 seems to state you do need the "!" die "to put it on alert".
> Could that clarification be more obscuring?
>
> Or is Paragraph 2 saying each flak unit automatically gets a 30 or 45 cm snap shot at each
> plane that comes by, and then additional attacks if on"!". Because that is absurdly powerful,
> and 3 flak guns could eliminate squadrons of any size with little effort.
>
> Thane

One of my friends asked me to get the clarification for just the reason you mention Thane. I
trusst Andrew has quoted the the text correctly.

My friend suggests he will never place his Hydra's or FirePrisms on "!" orders again, but rather
arrange them to provide anti-air protection using the 30 and 45 cm snap fire rule outlined
here. He feels like 3 Hydras can kill a lot more Ork Fighta Bomaz using 2 or 3 snap fires per
unit than he can with 3 Flak shots per detachment. And, my Doomwings and Firelords are shaking
in their revetments over the prospect of every Imperial and many Eldar detachments having one
Flak gun in it ready to pick them off with snap fire up to 30 or 45 cm away ... WOW, talk about
air cover. Good thing interception happens off board, so at least I can intercept without
eating flak all day!

All air power units with less than 30 cm range should be terrified!!

Greg