Re: [Epic] FIREPOWER Follow Up question

From: Greg Lane <greg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 15:50:57 -0500

Thane Morgan wrote:

> > One of my friends asked me to get the clarification for just the reason you mention Thane. I
> > trusst Andrew has quoted the the text correctly.
> >
> > My friend suggests he will never place his Hydra's or FirePrisms on "!" orders again, but rather
> > arrange them to provide anti-air protection using the 30 and 45 cm snap fire rule outlined
> > here. He feels like 3 Hydras can kill a lot more Ork Fighta Bomaz using 2 or 3 snap fires per
> > unit than he can with 3 Flak shots per detachment. And, my Doomwings and Firelords are shaking
> > in their revetments over the prospect of every Imperial and many Eldar detachments having one
> > Flak gun in it ready to pick them off with snap fire up to 30 or 45 cm away ... WOW, talk about
> > air cover. Good thing interception happens off board, so at least I can intercept without
> > eating flak all day!
> >
> > All air power units with less than 30 cm range should be terrified!!
> >
> > Greg
>
> I know flak was underpowered, but this seems to swing too far the other way. Did they increase the
> points for the flak units, or reduce the points for flyers? Because I can't think of any flyers with
> a range greater than 30 cm. My poor 160 point gargoyle unit can only expect to have one survivor
> from 40 points of ork flakwagons.
>
> Thane

Yeah, we discussed the poor Gargoyles ... they will have to land a goodly distance away and then walk
in for them to even be valuable as Ground Assault troops.

And, the Imperium already has this ability to have such long distance Artillery barrages. The best
ways to deal with them was landing drop pods or Air Power ... now, the Imperium can put some Hydras
around and concentrate a few inside of a 15 CM circle of artillery units, creating a very 'hard' spot
for air units or drop detachments to attack ... even a mass of 20 Fighta Bommerz would be wiped out ...
3 Hydras on snap fire seems to create a probablility of all the FB's being knocked from the sky ...
maybe a litle too much power for the Flack now!?!?!?