Re: [Epic] Market-Garden (long)

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 03:17:47 +1000

DeconSolo_at_... wrote:

> "Market-Garden" has been kicked around before. I have found that using only
> one leg of the op is best, unless you string them together in a mini campaign.

That's exactly what I'd like to do: have a mini-campaign, possibly set
up to be played simultaneously.

> The Arnhem scenario is the most interesting, and requires some minor mods to
> the drop pod rules, to allow for rhinos (and only rhinos!) to be dropped.

Or they could come in via a VERY limited number of Thunderhawks.... no
mods needed then.

> Table set up: River running from one corner to middle of one side. One bridge
> spanning it. Urban terrain on both sides, open/forested area on lower portion
> of the board. *--------------------- *=River ends
> | U | U=Urban
> | | O/F= Open/Forested
> | |
> *
> | U |
> | |
> | O/F |
> ----------------------

Not quite historical: the actual terrain I see more like this

 ---------airfield-----------------------
| hills hills |
| hills |
| woods woods |
| woods DZ woods urban |
| woods DZ woods urban urban urban |
| woods urban urban urban urban |
| urban urban urban |
RIVER=RIVER=RIVER=RIVER=RIVER][RIVER=RIVER
| marsh marsh marsh r |
| 2ndry DZ marsh o marsh |
| marsh marsh marsh a marsh |
| marsh d |

This way we get the secondary drop from the Polish Paras, the Bridge
(of course), the Deelen Airfield (should be right on the edge), and
the road by which the reinforcements will come up.

I see the assailters being Space Marines, with the defenders... probably
Orcs. Gretchin as the Dutch SS, Gargants for other SS (Tigers etc),
bikeboyz
and buggies for the doomed Recon unit that attempted to recapture the
bridge.

The reinforcements will be (of course) Imperial Guard. Tanks, and
especially
Titans (largely restricted to the road, due to Polder/marsh).

The terrain south of the bridge is pancake-flat. Hardly a building. I
might add
that I have the video of the reinactment (with actual participants) that
occurred
in 1946, and have studied Market/Garden extensively. Oh yes, and I lived
about
50 km away in Hengelo for 10 months, so had a good squizz at the terrain
nearby.

The 6lber and 17ers of the paras are adequately simulated by the support
weapons.
Similarly the massed 75mm can be whirlwinds. The Jeep/recon groups can
be landspeeders
of course.

> How's this for an idea?

Excellent. My own ideas differ merely in detail, not in concept. Of
course, that just
deals with Arnhem. There's still Nijmegan, and the long slog "up the
road" before and after.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo