Re: [Epic] Market-Garden (long)

From: <DeconSolo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 15:39:55 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/98 14:41:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tzeentch666_at_... writes:

> BTW: I would like to do some 'historical' Epic scenarios such as the neat
> Iwo Jima scenario and the Battle for Gettysburg. If anyone has any ideas I
> would like to hear them. Though please, if you introduce new equipment at
> least have the decency to give models to use or conversion notes. :)

"Market-Garden" has been kicked around before. I have found that using only
one leg of the op is best, unless you string them together in a mini campaign.
The Arnhem scenario is the most interesting, and requires some minor mods to
the drop pod rules, to allow for rhinos (and only rhinos!) to be dropped.
Basically what we did was say that the rhinos are dropped in pods separate
from the troops (scatter can be a b**ch), and have a chance of being destroyed
on impact.

Table set up: River running from one corner to middle of one side. One bridge
spanning it. Urban terrain on both sides, open/forested area on lower portion
of the board. *--------------------- *=River ends
                     | U | U=Urban
                     | | O/F= Open/Forested
                     | |
                                          *
                     | U |
                     | |
                     | O/F |
                     ----------------------

Forces: We used SMs as the attackers, with an IG armored force following up.
Two detachments of SM's, one with rhinos. The IG force was a company of
Leman Russes, with art'y support. The SM's drop in, and the IG follow up,
chance starting on turn 3 (1 in 6), and increasing every turn, i.e., turn 4 (2
in 6), etc.
We originally used Eldar as the defenders. It was armor heavy (fire prisms,
falcons), with a few dreads, and plenty of guardians. Sorry the exact make-up
escapes me at the moment. Eldar get an additional 200 pt reinforcement
detachment on turn 3.
No air power is available.

Deployment: The SM/rhino detachment drops in the Open/Forested area. The
other SM detachment drops on the "southern" portion of the city. The Eldar
deploy second, and can deploy anywhere, but must be at least 50 cm away from
the nearest SM unit. The IG start off board, and enter on an N-S road, on the
"southern" end of the board. The Eldar reinforcements enter in the "northern"
urban portion.

Victory Conditions- Simply to control both ends of the bridge. If one side
gains both ends of the bridge, then the opposition has one last attempt to
retake it.

How's this for an idea?

Josh R