Re: [Epic] Heretical Idea!

From: Greg Lane <greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:39:38 -0500

J Andrew Evans wrote:

> Well the Hydra flak tank is kosher as it is in the Cultist army list for Chaos, so it is
> perfectly reasonable to buy some in. I just didn't want a heavily cultist orientation
> for the chaos army.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

> This snap-fire rule. I will have to play-test before I can be sure that it really is so
> devastating. Perhaps there needs to be more thought in the flight path of the flyers.
> After all with a 4' x 8' table one isn't forced to fly the length of the table surviving
> all the snap fire but one could come in across the short table length to reach one's
> objective. Anyway the enemy can only achieve a no-fly zone around the flak units. Can
> they really cover the whole board?

Well, with a 4x8 table it would be much more difficult. But with 4 ft entry side, 150+
cms., you should be playing around 2700 to 3000 pts per side and at that rate, there coud
definitely be enough flak on the board to create a fairly all encompasing no flyu zone.

Two approaches: (or use a combination of the two!)
1. With one or two Flak in each of several detachments spread across the table, you need
about 2-3 flak per 30 cm or around 12+ flak units to create a very nasty umbrella over the
table from edge to edge, covering about 45 cm deep, if you stagger the flak as you move.
2. Using the 3 flak units per vulnerable detachment approach previously described, you can
absolutely protect 4 main detachments and probably provide reasonable cover to a few other
detachments under their umbrella ... if these four detachments are spread across the table,
you would also get a nice no fly zone pretty much everywhere that mattered.

Once folks learn to do this, why would you spend a bunch of points on air units for a
battle, given the limited impact they ahve withn 4 or 5 turns already?

Greg