Re: [Epic] Saving Private Ryan

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 21:46:48 -0600

Sauron1 wrote:

> Sauron1 writes; Colen;
>
> I believe the landings were originally set for High Tide, but the
> proliferation of wood poles with landmines set on top" Romels Garden"
> planted by the thousands along the European beaches. caused a lowtide
> assault

Yes, the delimma was do we want a short water zone but lose craft to the traps
which would be below the water line, or have a long water assault where we see
most of the traps. They chose the second.

> As I remember, the Landing craft used in Normandy were supplanted by
> fully tracked and enclosed units in the South Pacific, I think. The Pacific
> theatre was not an area I studied.

I believe the marines (which did nearly all of the pacific invasions
exclusively, except minor elements from the navy and army) had ducks designed
for seaborne invasion, which is their primary mission. I think they used them
before normandy. I think that the army didn't consider it as critical, and may
have feared pulling vehicles up onto the heavily mined beaches before infrantry
could clear them anyways. I think the landing craft they used were more easily
mass produced as well.

Thane