Re: [Epic] Paintbrushes?

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:17:20 -0400 (EDT)

"Sauron1" <sauron1_at_...> writes:
> Sauron1 writes;Group Question;
>
> I am shure it is neither creeping old age affecting my Eyesight { I
> Always used one of those Florescent lighted Magnifiers with a "natural
> Light" bulb} nor causing my had to shake, but the quality of the sable being
> used in 10 "0" paint brushes "Ain't What it used to be".

        I never liked sable on minis. It has a bit too much give, and
isn't as durable on uneven surfaces and crevices that a canvas doesn't
have. (That, and quality control seems to get worse on the 0 and
multiple 0 brushes)

> I buy $10.00 plus stuff and the GW line WAS good, but now they all seem
> to split and the point not constant. I know I use Humbrol Enamels but I
> therefore constantly clean with fresh thinner, not turps and re-point before
> setting aside upright.
>
> A: What brushes do you use?

        All sorts. I buy a couple of any brush I see under $5 that I
find creap or on sale that look nice. I figure it's inexpensive to
experiment.
        My favorites are American Painters White Nylon, IIRC. The
Windsor + Newton White Nylon is also very nice, and I may switch to
them on a more permanent basis (I just discovered the quality on them
recently).
        I'd recommend finding a few of the major art companies and
buying a couple of their white nylon and see how you like them.
They're very cheap, pretty stiff (A major plus in my painting style),
and durable. They've lasted at least 4-5 times as long as my other
brushes, though that might be attributed to actually taking better
care of my brushes. I doubt it though, I think it's just more
resistant to the little abuses that I do to them occasionally.

> B:What do you pay for them?

        White Nylon seems to range from $1.50ish for the American
Painters to $3.50 for the Windsor + Newton. I'd say that the W&N have
the best quality I've seen for painting minis, and the American
Painters is probably about 95% the quality.

> C:Have you found a deterioration in Quality lately?

        I haven't bought anything recently except the W&N White
Nylons. :( They're nice. I guess the other big thing I switched to
doing recently was making sure my detail brushes stayed that, *detail*
brushes. I had a habit of painting small areas on them when I got
lazy and didn't want to switch off of my detail brush.

Mark