Re: [Epic] Jervis' Letter

From: Dan Lobb <danlobb_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 05:37:48 -0800

I sent this message to Marc privately and now, at his suggestion, I sent
it to the list. I would like to add that I try to be tolerant of
everyone's views. I know that we all have our prejudices, as Lorenzo
pointed out, not all are serious. I would like to think that the
original writer had a momentary lapse of reason and that his imprudent
sweeping generalizations were not indicative of his character. I am
giving him the benefit of the doubt. He probably had just plunked down
serious cash for some overpriced minis and was feeling ashamed that he
is hooked on these as much as the rest of us.

I have found that this list is remarkably clear of the rampant flaming I
have seen on the newsgroups. I sent my message to Marc privately as I
did not want him to think I was admonishing him in front of a crowd. I
don't think he was wrong in trying to keep hate mail off our list.

Marc wrote:

> If you think it is funny to say that 'all english are greedy' or that we
> 'beat the greedy europeans' ass in two wars' is funny, it is your right.
>
> I am not english (and I don't feel very european ) but I always thought that
> calling people 'greedy <group, nationality or ethny>' is called
> 'racism'.Don't you ?

Actually, this isn't racism. It is, however, prejudice and it has always
made me excessively angry to see people get away with it. It can
sometimes make you lose your temper and come off looking like that the
bad guy, though. You were justified in calling him on it. However, I
think it is time to put this issue aside. It is not my intention to
scold you.

Good gaming,

danlobb_at_...