Re: [Epic] Epic 40K

From: Dan Lobb <danlobb_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 08:32:41 -0800

Andy Skinner wrote:

Dan:
>We have always played that unit could only pop-up as high as its advance
>move range.

We played 25cm for all, though I think the whole idea is a bit
goofy, and I can't see those jet bikes popping up vertically
so high. 15 cm makes more sense to me.

My thoughts on conversion to Dirtside usually left pop-ups off.
I can buy them skimming over the ground, but I'd leave pop-ups
to VTOLs there. Though I could see the jetbikes gaining more
altitude--just doing it more gradually.

andy
andy.skinner_at_...

I feel the same way. I think of the skimmers as being like hovercraft. I
think this was the original intent. They just stay a few feet above the
ground and could not enter rough terrain. Hovercraft have to maintain a
cushion of air by staying close to a relatively smooth surface. At
least, that is my recollection. I think the idea gradually changed to
something like a hybrid hovercraft/helicopter.

I would like to see an improvement in the skimmer rules. I am thinking a
seperate class for the models that can maintain altitude and thus make a
popup attack. I would include the Eldar tanks, but not the Wave
Serpents, artillery, or jet bikes in this new class.

The Wave Serpents and artillery should be governed by the same
restriction that apply to current day hovercraft. (No rough terrain and
no popups) The artillery should have to anchor themselves to the ground
by tractor beam or some mechanical means in order to fire. I am not
saying they should be penalized for moving in a turn they fire, just
that the need to anchor explains the inability to popup. They sport very
large weapons that brings to mind a physics question regarding "equal
and opposite forces...". The tanks appear to have smaller weapons in
ratio to the vehicle size and can provide enough inertia to minimize the
effect. The Wave Serpent doesn't currently have a popup attack, I just
include it here to round out the classifications.

The bikes should:
a)be allowed to enter rough terrain as infantry,
b)jump intervening infantry stands and vehicles,
c)not have LOS block by intervening infantry or vehicles,
d)not be targetable when in close combat, and
e)be subject to pinning.

I am really undecided about e). I use the Eldar in my example, but the
same logic could be applied to all of the skimmers.

What do you think?

danlobb_at_...