Re: [Epic] game scale

From: Joseph Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 23:03:37 -0600

Paul Tobia wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Jason Stephensen wrote:
>
> > Just this weekend while I was chatting to fellow club-members while playing
> > epic we got on to talking about the new bits from epic97, even the scale of
> > the guns. After pointing out that the new titan weapons had a max range of
> > 60cm, one guy replied "well at least their getting the scale right now", we
> > pointed out that this meant that titan weapons (if the scale is true) which
> > are the biggest guns on the battles field can effectively fire 200meters.
> > Now that would just be silly.
>
> If you're looking for a little rationalization (I also like some "realism"
> in my games) consider that the ranges in Epic are the effective ranges.
> Take into account all the smoke, jamming, confusion, and general state of
> technology in the 41st millenium perhaps the weapons can fire much farther
> than listed, but you're not really going to hit anything until you get
> within effective range. Thus weapon systems with extra targeting
> capabilities or fire large area effect bombardments (Artillery, Ordinatus)
> can get the super long ranges.
>
> Oh, and for the record 5cm in Epic40k = 8" in WH40k.

Ok, Mark I eyeball aimed systems, which is VERY hard jam have an
effective range of 500 meters. Assuming that the old 1" = 2 meter rule
of WH40k is still in effect that means that a grunt with a slug tossing
rifle should have a range of 250". At your 1:4 ratio that means that
small arms fire should have a range of 62.5" or so in Epic. That's
158cm. Granted that would be the long range band for small arms, but
small arms should have the shortest range of all weapons in the system.
Tank cannon, even in WWII, have a range of at least twice that of small
arms fire, and the big cannon have a range of at least 12 km or so.
This would be WWII level stuff, i.e. stuff that can't jammed because it
is aimed via non-electronic means.

It all gets back to the fine folk at GW write rules that are just fine
for fighting Waterloo, but are flawed for any other use.