Re: The Be-all and End-all of troops (was:Re: [Epic] Re: [EPIC] Epi

From: Tony Christney <acc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 19:39:06 -0800

>Seth Ben-Ezra wrote:
>
>> What do you think IS the be-all and end-all of the military (if such a
>> thing exists)? Just curious.
>
>Conventional Troops - Princess Patricia's Light Infantry (Canadian) UK
>Parachute Regiment would be up there too.
>Long Range Recon - Toss-up between UK SAS, Aus SAS, German D9, UK SBS,
>USN Seals and a number of others generally unknown to the public.
>Armour - Panzer Lehr (German) or US Army OPFOR at Nellis.
>Artillery - Dunno.
>
>and, for the true professional,
>
>Logistics - The US Army and Marine Corps.

Minor correction: the actual name of the above Canadian regiment is
Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). The are essentially
mechanized infantry, but are trained to be used in many roles from covert
ops to anti-terrorism to frontal assault. For PPCLI, training never ends
except to engage in combat. I am no expert, but have met many as they have
troops in the city I live in. I always see them running around with their
burgundy track suits.

As for what I think is the be-all and end-all of the military, I would have
to say nuclear weapons. Not really troops, but definitely the most dangerous
arm of the military.

>--
>aebrain_at_... <> <> How doth the little Crocodile
>| Alan & Carmel Brain| xxxxx Improve his shining tail?
>| Canberra Australia | xxxxxHxHxxxxxx _MMMMMMMMM_MMMMMMMMM
>100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo oo oo oo
> By pulling MAERKLIN Wagons, in 1/220 Scale
>See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture

Tony Christney
acc_at_...