Re: [Epic] Games Workshop's "New Sales Plan"

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:59:15 -0600

At 07:24 PM 3/11/97 +0000, you wrote:

>I have gotten in touch with friends in other geographical areas and the
>trend repeats itself, epic players dont want it and neither do 40k
>players. The bottom line is I have seen many 40k players ask people who
>play the current game if they will buy the new one, when receiving the
>rotund NO they lose interest as well.

I think the people running the stores you frequent aren't doing their jobs
properly. The local shop I patronize pushes GW stuff almost as hard as GW.
He rotates through 2-3 month long tournament/leagues, announces the next
game, takes aobut a month off so people can build their armies, and starts
the new league. They have WHFB running right now, and the next is probably
going to be Necromunda. That will give everyone time to learn the E40K
rules and build forces so they don't go in blind. He also keeps several
armies for the various games on display (and his store manager is good
enough to enter a Golden Demon competition and not be embarassed). All this
combines to promote a lot fo GW sales without making it a "hard sell" kind
of place. Oh, yeah, most of his employees played Space Marine and are
looking forward to using their old figs. They admit the Stargrunt and
Dirtside influence, but they all seem pumped up about E40K, which in turn
spreads to the customers. Another angle they can hit is that a
well-balanced and diverse Epic army costs considerably less than a 40K or
WHFB force.

>The future? I'm afaid if the current trend holds you could expect epic
>to go out of print in the next two years because I dont think they'll
>try another edition since that would not be profitable.
>
>Peter

I would encourage my friends (if you consider the store owners friends) to
run a few demos, promote in-store games, and then run a league and/or
tournament. It will generate fresh sales for them and keep Epic alive for you.

Temp