Re: [Epic] Titans and Eldar (looooong) (was: Titans and CC)

From: Brett Hollindale <agro_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:38:03 GMT

At 08:56 AM 20/3/97 -0600, you wrote:

>>>I would say you do have a chance, mostly because of the medics.
>>
>>Yes, the Medics COULD save the day, but _I_ wouldn't count on it...
>
>I don't know, man. Five medics scattered through that assault force will
>ressurrect a lot of guys. Aside from that fact, I think the plan is
>basically suicide, but that's a lot of regeneration.

>>Well, range will play a big part in this, won't it? Any range 100 Eldar
>>stuff (Firestorms, Tempests) will make mince meat of your devastators
>>without suffering any return fire...
>
>Very true. If they don't have something better to shoot at.
>
>>I hate buying titan experience abilities, and I hate spirit hosts, but as
>>you say later, you could take a Phantom Battle Group instead of these two...
>
>Really? I think the powers are neat. It gives different crews diifferent
>specialties, and harkens back to the special abilities available in AT.

Oh, I like the abilities all right, but I like to earn them for the titan
rather than buy them. (This is not a problem - other than keeping the titan
alive - in my regular gaming group, but you really need a bunch of opponents
who you play with in a campaign like setting.)

>Incidentally, what do you have against the spirit host? Is it the "kill the
>warlock/break the company" thing?

That's really only a problem against tyranids, but there's also the fact
that the Dreadnaughts plus Wraithgaurd plus Warlock without Falcon really
aren't worth 500 pts, and finally (and most significantly) Wraithgaurd are
both cheaper and better than Dreadnaughts and it would be more effective to
spend the points on say three Wraithgaurd and two Dire Avengers (to assist
in giving the WG orders).

>>Well, yeah, they probably will, but they will also probably be obliterated...
>
>>>1) Yes, we did agree that titans suck versus eldar, but you seem to be
>>>taking 3 of them. 2) The psychic lock has 75 cm range, and the warlocks
>>>have command falcons that move 50cm. 3) the warlocks are command units, so
>>>you can't fire at them unless they are the closest thing.
>>
>>"Unless they are the closest Falcon." A small difference that makes a big
>>difference...
>
>I belive that would be the closest _vehicle_, but anyway, only an idiot
>would leave them loaded in such a case.

Really? (I agree on the closest vehicle point, I am surprised by the tactic
of unloading the falcon.) In my experience, Warlock's almost never leave
the air cionditioned comfort of their command vehicle. I guess it might
help, but it would cut down the available movement on turn one and that
might be a real problem with titans on the back line...

>>>Besides, I'll trade a warlock for a titan (even 2 or 3 or 4 warlocks) anyday.
>>>And if you can cause a meltdown in the midst of his stuff . . .
>>
>>Pinning the titan and doomweavung it will "destroy it" but I don't think it
>>will cause a meltdown...
>
>No, it won't, but if those bikes manage to take one down . . .

>>>Titans dont' have enough firepower. Sure a bunch of one-shots will hurt,
>>>but you will most likely lose one to warlocks before the first fire phase.
>>
>>And unless the Phantoms die before they fire, I wouldn't count on those
>>titans being around in the second turn...
>
>Six pulsars concentrated on 2 titans will probably destroy them, possibly
>spectacularly. That averages 4 hits. Definitely kill one, and a good shot
>at the second. And if the laswings can reach, that ices it.

Yep, maybe I didn't make it clear, but if the Imps don't kill the Phantoms
before the Phantoms fire, I don't think much of the chance that an Imp titan
will be left in round 2...

>>>I really think it will come down to who scores the most points in the
>>>bloodbath. The more I think about it, the more I think at 6000 pts so much
>>>stuff will get broken that it will be a tie. Especially with most of the
>>>forces concentrated on half the board.
>>
>>Nah, I reckon if you take a CC army against the Eldar you're in a whole
>>world of trouble...
>>
>>Agro
>
>I would normally agree, but I'm having trouble imaginning what 5 medics
>could do. Otherwise, I'd say "Bring the noise, white boy!"

Five Medics are like Chaos, but not as good. Although if he gets
overlapping fields of influence, you can make a bunch of medics
invulnerable... (Six medics standing together get 5 chances to save on 5+,
pretty good odds that you will live forever...)

Agro