Re: [Epic] Grognards? Cool!

From: Earl Corbin <earl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:45:55 -0500

----------
> From: space-marine_at_...
> To: Earl
> Subject: [Epic] Grognards? Cool!
> Date: Wednesday, March 19, 1997 8:32 PM
>

> >I would just like to add that this thread of discussion is beautiful.
This
> >is the reason I joined the list: to read discussions on tactics. I
would
> >post more if I thought I had the experience to do so, but I'm still
> >learning. I've been playing for almost a year now, but I think most of
the
> >"grognards" on this list have been at it for at least three times as
long
> >as I have. So, in summary: keep this thread and ones like it going! I
> >love it!
>
> Cool. Well I've been playing epic/SM/adeptus titanicus since it pretty
much
> started way back in the late 80's (?) so at least 8 years which is 8
times
> as long as you. And there are others here that have as well (And are a
lot
> older, hehe) So does that make us mob that have been epicaddicts for that
> long super-grognards?

I started off about 3 years ago buying Warhammer Fantasy stuff. I've only
played it once. About a year ago, I picked up Space Marine, then Titan
Legions. I loved it from the first time I played it. I then picked up
Necromunda, Space Hulk, and Warhammer 40K, not necessarily in that order.
So my total GW collection is now embarrassingly huge.

> And which part did you like? The tactics/strategies? (we even had some
> recently) The bitching (which has quietened down again)? Or the
trademarks bit?

The tactics, mainly. I've been having trouble with Eldar lately. Playing
and playing against, actually. I've losing either way. I mainly play
space marines, with the occasional heresy into chaos.

The trademarks thing was interesting, too. I lost interest after a couple
of posts, though.

And the bitching... it would get old if I didn't sympathize with it so
much. Especially now that I hear you get a measly one stand of Terminators
for $9.95 US. Of course, you get more than just Terminators, but you
always did. I don't think it's feasible for me to round out my armies in
the old epic rules. When GW said there'd be no more buying multiple boxes
to round out a detachment, they really meant that they'd be changing the
rules so that the box _could_be_a_detachment, if you have no desire to
customize your army and end up with extra figures. Ugh. But enough
bitching.

> Oh and BTW what's a grognards? It sounds like the sound you make after
lots
> of drink and pizza and wedges and garlic bread?

I think someone has already started a thread to answer that one. Grognard
means old school wargamer, at least to me.