Re: [Epic] Tyranids a good Army?

From: Dan Lobb <danlobb_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 05:05:55 -0800

richard milton baird wrote:

> > Rich:
> >
> > I have had good results from my Biovores. I noticed a few people mention
> > on the list a dissatisfaction with them. I would be interested in
> > hearing how they have been used in your game. Both my imperial and eldar
> > enemies find these to be quite effective.
> >
> > danlobb_at_...
> >
> I usually try to use them as regular artillery and not so much of a
> disruption. When I first started playing, I couldn't wait to get some of
> them. I thought about all of the disruption that the spore mines would
> cause while drifting around my opponent's back lines. What seems to
> happen though, is that I desperately hope that they'll either hit
> something right off the bat or drift into something and then hope that
> the few blast points that each one carries is enough to give me an actual
> hit. It might be different if I played against other opponents, but up
> until now I've been playing against Space Marines, Chaos, and just
> tonight, Eldar. Maybe they would be more useful against Orks or Imperial
> Guard?
> What's been your experience?
> Later,
> Rich
I initially purchased these as cheap artillery with long ranges and that
is my primary role for them. The drift is an annoyance sometimes, but I
fire them on the greatest concentration of troops. Certain troops are
most effective on FF orders. My Biovores fire at these with the
objective of forcing movement, kills are a secondary benefit. Artillery
can be used for destroying enemy units, but it is more often used for
suppression. In the North Africa campaign, Rommel was constantly
frustrated by the British use of a combination of artillery fire and
airforce carpet bombing to pin and supress his forces. The British
infantry and armor elements would advance while the Germans were looking
for cover. (See The Rommel Papers for more on this.)

My tactic here keeps the enemy from firing in the FF phase and gives me
an edge. I can kill him with other weapons before he can shoot in the
advance phase.

danlobb_at_...