Re: [Epic] Epic 40K Facts

From: The Ogre <the.ogre_at_...>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 19:13:38 -0800

Chad Taylor wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 duckrvr_at_... wrote:
>
> > > The US Army thinks that CC is combat at under
> > >200 meters range. Given the VERY short ranges of GW's game weapons
> > >this would be "long range" in a game.
> >
> > Moo? Then why is the Army rifle course exclusively under 200m? Why is it
> > that the majority of decisive engagements since WWII have been at 50m or less?
> > "Close Ambush" range is grenade range (35m or so). How can "close combat"
> > be at 200m? Army training (for infantry) barely reaches this range under
> > ideal circumstances (rifle range). They certainly can't be very good at it
> > under combat conditions.
> >

> Actually, it is 300 meters for the M16 (qualified about a month ago). I
> would say that your typical infantry guy thinks in ranges around 200
> meters though. I have always thought of CC in Epic as being the combined
> results of several forms of attack out to a range of some hundred meters
> or so. Just a thought.
>
> > Probably. But the crap they spew about being accurate within 1 meter at a
> > 12 klick range is imbecilic. I love the artillery guys, but they shouldn't
> > believe their own press. Hitting a 10m target at that range is doing well.
> >
> > Temp
> >

> I would say an even greater factor is the ability of an FO to
> call fire under such high stress conditions with any amount of accuracy.
> You end up hoping for the best and just walk it in after that.
>
> Chad

Well, Close Combat now, is not neccesarily HtH stuff.
It involves the surrounding units aswell (fire support) as the ones that
are in b2b contact. So thats why it is know as an assault now, not
Close Combat.
So when you win, you drive em off where they were, you loose, well, you
loose and you get pushed back, although there is no pursuit. Which I
wonder about. Any Ground pounders out there? A question if you will,
do you chase after the enemy once you have forced him off his patch to
drive him into the ground, or just let him run?
Although keeping that in mind, if the enemy doesn't retreat far enough
they get wiped out, so I suppse that would sorta be the same thing. (?)

You also get nifty little fire fights aswell.

Laterz