Re: [Epic] Eldar tactics

From: Renaud Delhaye <rde_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:17:44 +0200

Agro wrote:

>>Really, Agro, what would be the _real_ difference between a unit with
>>pop-up capability and another one if you can shoot it whenever you want?
>

>Well, we've always figured the difference was that you had to be on FF to
>shoot a skimmer that was popping up from behind cover...
>
>This makes a big difference to most armies (the squats don't worry about it,
>of course).

Let's see. During the FF phase, you've to be in FF to fire, anyway -
impressive reasoning, isn't it? :-) During the "fire after advance" phase
(don't know how you call that in English), there should be no pop-up,
except if some skimmers were in FF and "passed" during the FF phase (and
this is a debatable interpretation of the rules - I would not allow pop-up
in the FAA phase).

Assuming you don't allow this, hidden pop-up units are useless during FAA
phase (barring other normal LOS opportunities, of course), just as other
units facing a piece of terrain.

Assuming now that you allow this, only the enemy units which "passed" too
could reply. So, in games wherein many skimmers are deployed, many units in
FF will retain fire until the "FAA" phase (and with the gaming philosophy
in my group, most of them!). And the skimmers will be shot anyway.

So, I don't see such a big difference.

>>And I think I know why "the guys" do it that way: they understand pop-up
>>capability is one of the most powerful asset of the game and are afraid of
>>it.
>

>I think it is more like they feel that "if you can shoot at me, I should be
>able to shoot at you".

Hmm. In this principle, I feel something like "everything is happening at
the same time during a fire phase". It's obviously not the case, as then,
destroyed models would have the right to fire before being removed (there
are some games using this principle, but not EPIC). Moreover, being able to
shoot at popping-up models before they effectively fire is just the
opposite of the spirit of the rules: popping-up units benefit from
_surprise_ and firing at them before they fire means you _predicted_ their
apparition.

Terrific house rule, meaning every soldier is a Warlock, IMHO.

Renaud