[Epic] Eldar tactics

From: Michael the Liu <mikethel_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 00:20:23 -0800

> never lost... Before I start, do your opponents field
>crippled armies, or do you have house rules I don't know about? If
>not, I'd like to get some advice from you, as these are some of the
>armies I have problems facing.

A quick run down on strategies:

> Squats: I break about twice as fast as they do, and I'm
>afraid to field large targets like the Tempest or Battle Titans. They
>also tend to get more firepower per point than I do, and enough of
>their stuff is on FF that popups don't help much. And void shields
>are far better than holo fields, so I have trouble punching through
>each turn, and they regenerate between turns if I don't finish them
>off in one turn.

Take jet bikes to hit the artillery fast and hard. Don't take juicy
targets like tempests or battle titans unless you're supremely confident
you can get the artillery down in time. While vibro-cannons will be the
first to be shot down, the fact that they're targeted first means you're
opponent is afraid of them enough to want them dead more than anything
else. Use Warlocks to screen units with Eldritch storms. A single
eldritch storm right in front of a colossus or a cyclops means you just
removed 500 points worth of firepower from the enemy for an entire turn,
though your opponent may consider this cheesy.

> IG: I don't have large numbers of shots, and I am in danger
>of being overwhelmed by companies of infantry. Barring a row of Wave
>Serpents, I don't know what to do about this. I suppose I could just
>keep hoping he fields his tanks, but that doesn't seem like an ideal
>strategy to me.

Take the jet bikes again to take out the artillery with. Try and stay
mobile and keep away from the largest concentrations of infantry (since
you're being overwhelmed you say, I'll assume they're charging you and thus
can't shoot you while you're moving around). Take night wings to try and
do as much damage as possible to his firepower base and command structure.
A few CC aspect warriors in the midst of his infantry can butcher them
pretty quick, while dire avengers can be just plain sweet if you're lucky.

> Chaos: Well, I haven't played against Chaos for a while, and
>he insisted on using several house rules. I've also picked up advice
>over the past couple years on the ML that I haven't had a chance to
>try. I can probably try to do this myself and get some more
>experience first.

If you play with that ridiculous ruling that allows prism cannons to ice
GDs, take plenty of those to keep those nasties in hiding. A warlock titan
with two psylances can be pretty mean for suppressing enemy GDs as well.
If one of his Gds ever shows his face immediately pound it with either your
psychic weapons or so many conventional weapons that it'll either burn
through his Chaos cards or force him to sacrifice the daemon. Try and keep
your army mostly skimmers and mobile to keep away from the many Chaos
troops that don't shoot, while using your nightwings to hit his firepower
base. Once he only has CC troops left it's a done deal.

In all of these cases, also make a point of using your superior mobility to
take objectives that your opponent would have trouble taking.

Oh, and sorry for the terse replies, but I didn't feel like creating a
super-long post the way that happened last time there was an Eldar tactics
discussion.

>Mark

Michael the Liu