Re: [Epic] Tempests - tanks, or just good anchors?

From: Thomas Bloom <tbloom_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:32:20 -0500

>3 barrages w/ 6 BP hit on 4+. 2 stands/template on average (taking scatter
>into account - 3 without scatter if your opponent has bad placement) means 3
>hits on average. Throw the whirlwinds in (If they are on advance, they can
>almost always guarantee a target) and you get 2 more. In the first 2 turns
>that's 7 hits total. I would hardly call that decimating your opponent's
>wind host. It also assumes that nothing is damaging your company. Compared
>to a reg arty company you get 4 barrages on a 4+ (compared to 3) and one
>barrage on a 2+ (compared to 2 on a 4+). In two turns that comes out to
>around 9 hits (assuming a slightly higher miss percent since the Whirlwinds
>will usually have los), all of which have at least a -2 save mod. The
>Manticores have the ability to definitely tag a single target by combining
>barrages, but give me the regular company any day. BTW, I'm figuring that
>casualties will affect both roughly equally.
>
>Even with a 3 turn game, which maximizes the Manticores, it's still 12 hits
>for the rocket company to 13 or 14 for the arty boys (and they have the save
>mods).
>
>Temp

I have a really rotten time with scatters. The Manticores ability to
"string" thier barrage templates together guarentees that I'll get at least
one template on target. Sides I'll probably have an Artillery Co. as well
as a Rocket Co. (I like to play 5k+ games). The Rocket Co. whole point is
to kill "soft" Targets. If I didn't think my oppent would have a bike Co.
or massed infantry I wouldn't bring them. But then when was the last time
you didn't see a bike Co. brought along by anyone?

       "...'cause when its time to collect its only heros who pay..."
                               Hero, Ministry
                                   Thomas