[Epic] Tempests - tanks, or just good anchors?

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 13:45:39 -0600

>At 05:24 PM 4/1/97 +0200, you wrote:
>> but definitely take Tempests! Really, what do you think about 12
>>long-range pop-up attacks with a -3 Save Mod and 1+ Saves for 900 pts?

Tempests just give your opponent points. For 900 points I can take 18
falcons, which gives a much greater amount of versatility. You might need
the extra range vs. Squats, but I think +50% on the number of shots and the
versatility of deployment and the ability to carry troops and the ability to
NOT be broken after losing only 3 models will make up for it.

Tempest Host for 900 pts:
12 shots _at_ 4+ (or is it 3 ... doesn't matter, they still suck) = 6 hits (8
if I'm wrong)
-3 to the save mod
1+ armor
break point: 3!!!

or

2 falcon hosts
18 shots _at_ 4+ = 9 hits
-2 save mod (very little difference in most cases between -2 and -3)
4+ armor
break point: 5 for each company

Given that Tempests are going to save roughly twice as often (or maybe a
little better) since anything that has enough range to duel with these tanks
is going to have a pretty good save mod itself, we'll give the Tempests the
benefit of the doubt and say they save 3 times as often. This means by the
time you break a Tempest host (3 casualties) you can inflict 9 falcon
casualties. That will break one company and be within one of breaking
another, assuming that you have not gotten excess hits on the same falcon
company. And afterwards . . .

3 Tempests:
6 shots _at_ 4+ = 3 hits (4 if I'm wrong)

9 falcons:
9 shots _at_ 4+ = 4.5 hits

After we have done the analysis of firepower and endurance then we can take
into account flexibility (multiple detachments, and troop carrying abilities).

Give me the good old falcons any day.

Temp (although now considering changin my nick)