Re: [Epic] Epic 40k - answers to our questions!

From: Christian Taylor <kristian_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:26:08 -0700 (PDT)

> As promised, here are the answers to 4 of the more controversial aspects
> of Epic 40k that have kept us guessing for the past few days!

Mucho thanks for the Q&A retrieval.

> >2) How many stands of terminators can a land raider or rhino carry? The
> >rules give them a transport (2), therefore 2 units, even of terminators
> >(as there are no special exceptions for them) whereas in 40k there is
> >only enough room for 5 models of terminators in either.
>
> Strictly by the rules, two stands can be carried. As a house rule for
> thos willing to put up with the extra complexity, only allow one
> stand, as per 40K.

Perfect answer.

> >3) When must the +25 cost for a detachment HQ be paid? In the Space
>
> Unfortunately a number of errors creeped into the example detachments in
> the army book. Fortunately, in every case where there is a
> contradiction, the detachment list is correct, and the example is
> wrong. Bear this in mind and you should be OK.

That's very nice, but it doesn't end the confusion.

Is a Farseer (as HQ) stand 50 or 75 points?
Is a SM Captain (as HQ) stand 25 or 50 points?

To be consistant, as I read it, either both the high values have to be
correct, or both of the low values. An answer to that question might
clear things up. (or not...)

> >4) The rules for Eldar Exarchs are also causing confusion. Can they
> >only be added to basic Aspect Warrior stands, confering the assault
> >skill, or can they be added to a stand of Swooping Hawks? What is the
> >effect of adding an Exarch to a Dark Reaper squad? Is the unit's range
> >15cm or 45cm, assault value 3 (4 divided by 2, plus 1; or 4 plus 1
> >divided by 2), firepower 2?
>
> Another typo. A stand led by an Exarch can either use its own ability,
> or
> the Exarchs, but no both at the same time. So, for example, those Dark
> Reapers could count their heavy weapon ability when shooting and their
> assault ability in close combat, the Swooping Hawks would count as
> having
> Jump Packs when they move and Assault when they fight in close combat,
> etc.
> In other words, they get the best of both worlds!

Errr...

A paragraph of new rules isn't exactly a typo. "Errata" maybe?

Nifty ruling though (I was assuming Dark Reapers would be useless with
exarchs...)

Christian Taylor
kristian_at_...