Re: [Epic][E40k]Flyers

From: Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 13:32:19 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Mark A Shieh wrote:

> I'm having trouble with the flyer rules. Specifically, there
> are two things I'm having trouble with.
>
> 1) Shooting down flyers.
>
> Here's my current understanding, but I'm not sure. Roll to
> hit them. This is usually the standard roll against armour, so
> usually a 5+. If you hit them, roll again vs. armor. If you
> penetrate, they're destroyed. If not, they're sent back to repair.
>
> If this is correct, does this mean that there is only a 1 in
> 36 chance of destroying a T-hawk each time it goes out? And since it
> is sent back to be repaired after it is hit, you only get one chance
> to destroy it?

Yes this is correct, but remember a damaged flyer must spend the next turn
repairing, and then the next turn rearming, so that's two entire turns
missed.

> 2) Dogfighting
>
> It says to work your way down from initiative. It doesn't
> mention alternating fire. Does this mean that if I have 5 Nightwings
> (4/2 assault) and 5 Fighta-Bommerz(3/2 assault), each of the
> Nightwings will try to shoot one of the Fighta-Bommerz before they can
> retaliate? This could suck for the Orks.

Remeber that flyer detachments on Intercept go first. If two detachments
are on Intercept and in the same location then the higher intercept value
does get to go first.

The way around this (and Nighthawks in general) is take more than one
detachment of flyers.

Let me show you and example I had two nights ago. I had two dets. of
Marauders (3 each) and one det. of T-bolts (3). My enemy had one det. of
Nightwings (5) and one det. of Phoenix Bombers (5). We declared at the
beginning (before Move init. was drawn) and basically all bombers went on
Ground Attack and all fighters went on Intercept.

I won Move init. so I began by placing one Marauder det. on the board. He
summariily placed his Nightwings to Intercept. Then I placed my other
Marauder det. away from the first. Since he had no other dets. in
Intercept the second group was unhindered. Yes the first group took some
hits (one destroyed, one damaged) but the second group of 3 were
untouched.

Now to his turn... he places the Phoenixes and I get free hits with my
T-bolts because his Nightwings have been used this turn. If he would have
used his Nightwings to protect his bombers then both of my Marauder groups
would be free and clear.

So, in summary, Eldar flyers are a bitch, but there are so many
permutations of deployment, declaration, and placement, that even Tyrnaids
will have a chance to do some damamge.

Paul R. Tobia _O_
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon |
full of tapes hurtling down the highway." (Tanenbaum,1996)
ptobia_at_... http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~heresy