Re: [Epic] [E40k] - Blast Markers etc

From: Stephen Sheldon <sheldona_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 12:44:06 -0700 (PDT)

I haven't had any problems with the firing rule, even after playing.
If you have a unit that has 15FP + 10AT, then the 15FP is resolved as
normal with hits allocated to the nearest target, the AT shots, being
super heavy, can choose their targets and are resolved seperately. EG, the
FP shots are used to kill 4 boyz and a wagon, whilst the AT shots are used
to pound the stompas bringing up the rear.

As for what the total FP is, Add up all the FP of units IN RANGE and with
LOS, eg 3 marines are firing, 1 can not see the ork detachment because of
a building,m the other two can see fine, buut one is 31cm away, therefore
the three stands only give 1FP to fire upon the unit.

The blast markers are added after everything is said and done. place the
total number of blast markers for FP and SHW fire. The reason a land
raider is affected by the markers the same as a gretchin is because the
infantry is hiding and demoralized whilst the tanks are avoiding craters
from the shelling, or avoiding panicked infantry, or even damaged.

This means that grunt troops are good shields against regular fire, but
SHWs can lay waste to the threats in any unit, therfore LRs are one of
themost powerful units in the game.

The pop up problem is a bit more severe, EofVs are only vulnerable to war
engine fire, which is stupid, I think if a pop up attack is to be made,
they should be treated as vehicles, ie they pop up in the vehicle shooting
phase, fire, then drop down again at the end of the vehicle phase, and
their WE firing phase is forfeit. That will make them think twice about
popping up. Sound fair? I think D6 AT shots on a skimmer is sick enough
anyway.

The problem that I have is with Fire fights, as far as I can tell after a
fire fight only one casualty is inflicted. I read it and re-read it and I
think that is how it is meant to be. A firefight is supposed to represent
a 40k battle, so it would make more sense if they said '...the nearest
unit to an enemy unit takes a hit...' Therefore after it is all resolved
pair off the firing units and use the CC table to resolve hits, should be
messy... Notice that there was no example? Maybe this is one for JJ.

Anyway, that's my angle on it, other than that, I think the game is great,
much better than 2nd ed.
Steve