Re: [Epic] [E40k] - Blast Markers etc

From: Alan Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 19:35:00 -0700

Richard Dewsbery wrote:

> Look at p16 of the rules. If you split your fire, total up your overall
> firepower. Split it between the two targets (but allocate no more than
> 3 vs the second).

Exactly.

> > Example 2:
> > As Example 1, but there's only one target, at 20cm. Firepower is 3-3 =
> > 0....er.... How come the subtraction of the nearer target suddenly
> > reduced the firepower at long range?
>
> Look at example 1 - you said you were FP 4 vs this - what has changed?

No, the target's at 20 cm, not 12, so it's the one with 3 FP, not 4.

> > PROPOSAL:
> > In the firing phase, determine the total Firepower available, counting
> > every unit in the detachment, if it could fire (whether it has a valid
> > target or not).

> That's pretty much how I've always seen it.

Excellent, we have agreement. The important point is "counting every
unit in
the detachment" whether it has a valid target or not.

> So if the Eldar were to make a pop-up attack, that gives the land
> raiders a chance to target them first. (Again, although not mentioned in
> the rulebook, I think you have to assume that you pop up at the start of
> shooting.)

This is the Crux of the matter: When IS a pop-up? One for Jervis I
think. We should point out to him how this would make EofVs very, very
powerful if the PopUp ocurred only at time of fire, and not at start of
firing phase. I wish it were not so, but
based on past rulings, I think he meant at Time of Firing. Even though I
think this
should NOT repeat NOT be so.

> Because BMs show unit cohesion, minor casualties, infantry "ducking" and
> vehicles maneuvring. There is now a bigger, more vulnerable formation,
> with a total FP of 10 + 20AT. But it's also more flexible.
> Effectively you are saying the termies are taking the brunt of the
> incoming supressive fire, screening the raiders if you like, allowing
> the raiders to fire at full effect. You could have chosen to apply the
> BMs so the raiders have 8 AT and the termies 10FP.

OK, you've convinced me. However, it would be SIMPLER if you could just
total up the FPs of the units in the detachment, not worrying about
whether they can fire or not. Still, maybe this is not _too_ much of a
complication.

> > OTOH..... maybe the opponent should allocate blast markers.
>
> That could get very complicated, very quick. Should I be able to
> supress my opponents warboss, instead of his gretchin? Should I be able
> to choose raider no.1, in range to shoot back, rather than raider no.4,
> which is out of range? This could get v. Silly V. Quickly for no
> immediately apparent benefit.

A matter of some debate. Frankly, the incoming fire would be on the
Warboss,
the LR in range etc rather than on the gretchin. OTOH a single lasgun
shot
in the general area would not cause much change in an LR's abilities,
but
would drastically increase the Gretchin's laundry bill.

Conclusion: Dunno. Arguments either way. I'd say stick with the Victim
allocation
as implied by the rules, due to simplicity if nothing else.

> > After one turn of firing, no non-Titan Psyker unit will be on the board
> > within 45cm of any Land Raiders, unless it's cowering behind cover.
>
> If there are that many raiders about that this can be guaranteed, why
> should they leave the psykers in play??

My point is that 2x AT weapons + High mobility + 45cm range = something
rather powerful. A detachment of 10 LRs would be able to move to 11cm
away
from the screening units, then fire 20 shots with an average kill rate
of
10 units. At a cost of about 600 pts. And unlike the normal FP tank, it
can
pick and choose its targets to take out the good ones.

Compare an (old) Epic Bonebreaker with an (old) Epic Land raider. Cost
is
the same. Ability is 1 shot at 4 and -2 vs 2 shots at 5 and -2, ie
similar.

Now compare the 2xAnti-Tank ability of the LR vs pretty much any non
SHV.

In addition, in Epic, at maximum you could fire 3-4 LRs ( a squad )
before
your oppenent could fire. In E40K you fire basically anything up to a
Company+,
which can wipe out all opponents before they get a chance to fire back.
With
the normal FP shots, you have to go for the screen, and cover helps. But
with
AT abilities, you just take out the command, the psykers, the shooty
stuff, and
leave the dross. This was also true in Epic, but because you only fired
a squad
at a time, you couldn't wipe out the lot before taking casualties.

I'm beginning to think that 'AntiTank' as opposed to 'DeathRay' should
be
counted as normal FPs which always need 4+ to hit, and should not be
able to target
specific units.

--
100026.2014 compuserve o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo
See http://www.z-world.com/graphics/z/master/8856.gif for picture