[E40k] Bio-Titans (was: [Epic] terminators E40K)

From: Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:10:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Mark A Shieh wrote:

> As far as I can tell, Tyranid Titans are not much more fragile
> than their Imperial counterparts. They have the same number of Damage
> Capacity as their Imperial equivalent has in Shields+Damage Capacity.
> They have one less weapon. They go 33% faster and ignore any terrain
> modifiers. They have the same assault.

You forget that you never take critical damage when your shields are hit.

> Assuming the worst case scenario, in a 4 turn game, the Reaver
> will regenerate an average of 6 void shields and the Warlord will
> regenerate 9. This is the only real benefit that the Imperial Titans
> have in survivability. If you kill it in 1 turn, it dies just as
> quickly as the Tyranid. The weapon loss hurts, but doesn't matter in
> Close Assaults, which the Tyranid Titan is far better at.

How is it better in Assaults? You just mentioned above that they have the
same Assault value. Perhaps better mobility, but not assaults.

> Yes, it's worse than the Imperials. It's also about 80% of
> the price. Dammit, it *should* be worse.
>
> I think that most people are complaining because Tyranid
> Titans were just incredibly powerful before, and aren't any more.

Considering the amount of fire Titans in general receive... and
considering how fragile the Bio-Titans are to continuous fire (there is no
repairing ability... Eldar will have their holo-save, Imperials wil get
back shields) I am loathe to spend 480 points for 12FP 60AV unit. I
don't see either Bio-Titan surviving any sizable engagement more than 2
turns. Also compare the critical hit charts... on 9 and below (the
majority of the rolls you'll see) Bio-Titans take at least one extra
damage compared to Orks and Imperials.

Perhaps I need to play more Bio-Titans, but from the couple of times I've
seen them in action, they're not worth the points.

Paul R. Tobia _O_
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon |
full of tapes hurtling down the highway." (Tanenbaum,1996)
ptobia_at_... http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~heresy