Re: [E40k] Bio-Titans (was: [Epic] terminators E40K)

From: Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:54:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Mark A Shieh wrote:

> Paul Tobia <heresy_at_...> writes:
> > > quickly as the Tyranid. The weapon loss hurts, but doesn't matter in
> > > Close Assaults, which the Tyranid Titan is far better at.
> >
> > How is it better in Assaults? You just mentioned above that they have the
> > same Assault value. Perhaps better mobility, but not assaults.
>
> As Eldar is my force, consider the Following example of
> Swooping Hawks and Striking Scorpions. While their Assault is the
> same, the Swooping Hawks are far superior in getting into CC, and
> choosing targets. This is part of what I meant.

Right... I know this up close and personal after playing the Eldar this
weekend... I was defender on a Blitzkrieg scenario... yeesh.

> The other part I wasn't certain of (Only 1 CC weapon can be
> chosen). Since the Bugs effectively can have two on the 'Phant, they
> can double their Assault with no fear of having the opponent's assult
> doubled against them.

Yeah, but only the Hierophant can get rippers, the Hierodule is screwed.
Also you're going to take a lot of damamge if any significant number of
stands gets you in range on Overwatch. You've got 15-16 FP incoming (not
exactly sure.. don't have the tables here) which gives you 12 hit dice.
The overwatch rerolls gives you about a 1 in 3 chance of a hit. On
average you get 4 hits. 4 hits means 2/3 chance one is a critical. Best
chance of getting a 7 on the crit which means what... another 4 damage?
You've permenantly lost 2/3 of your DC due to one volley from 5 Leman
Russes.

Beleive me... after Hive War I don't mind the Tyraqnids getting a little
scaled back... but this is too much.

I propose during the Rally phase Bio-Titans (only) can roll 4+ to regain
any lost DC. If at any time during play a Bio-Titan goes to 0DC
immediately roll on the Catastrophic table (no "back from the dead").

Paul R. Tobia _O_
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon |
full of tapes hurtling down the highway." (Tanenbaum,1996)
ptobia_at_... http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~heresy