Re: [Epic] Things I miss in E40K

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 03:21:08 -0400 (EDT)

"W. Gregory Klett" <cyclops_at_...> writes:

> >> I agree. They've kind of sucked the fun/soul out of epic. I miss
> >> Orcs blowing themselves up with their own grenades. Or wierd-boyz towers
> >> blowing up because the mobs were too close, egging the weird-boyuz on.
> >> ........... *SIGH*
> >>
> >They have added a tactical depth to the game that could never be achieved
> >on the old system.
> >Steve
>
> Hunh??? Excuse me! But where???

        I'm glad to see that someone agrees with me. Until I see
otherwise, most of my so called "tactics" are going to be: Get more of
my troops into CC, firefights, and piddly 30-45cm firefights with less
of his troops. Which, admittedly, are the rudimentary basics of
tactics, but the execution of this is *very* straightforward. Guns
*ARE* important, but they're tactically just another form of close
combat with their pathetic range.

        I suppose this doesn't bother me as much as some people, as I
can happily sit down and paint my (old) miniatures for either game.
(I like the painting more than the playing) But it still irritates me
that the majority of tactics involve getting into CC, making sure that
you have a few random stands deeper so he can't run away, and then
rolling that real important d6. You can't abstract that much more
without just flipping a coin to see who wins.

Mark